For some time now i feel like i have been asleep, maybe not physically asleep although that may also be true. One of the symptoms of Fibromyalgia is this constant need to sleep or maybe not sleep but a constant and consistent fatigue not unlike having the flu. And no matter how many hours of sleep you get in a night it doesn’t necessarily change the level of fatigue within the body. I have my own theories has to why this may be however whenever i share them on the Fibro forum i get ‘booed’ off the site.
Just because you have Fibromyalgia it does not mean that you cannot get a good nights sleep and here are some tips on how to do that –
- go to bed at the similar time every night
- wake up at a similar time every morning
- take any pain medication at least an hour before you go to bed, giving it time to work
- have a light snack – cereal, a biscuit, a slice of toast – and a drink
- turn off all unnecessary electronic devices
- have a bedtime routine
- turn everything off at least an hour before you want to go to bed, e.g tv, computer, etc
- read before sleep
- if you are supposed to be asleep (i.e it’s 3am) then act like you are supposed to be asleep
- if you need to get up in the night do not switch on any bright lights
- if you are up, do what you need to do and go back to bed
- keep some plain biscuits and some water by the bed if you need to take pills in the night you shouldn’t take them on an empty stomach
If when you wake up it is morning, then get up even if you have to go back to bed later.